Homemade Whole Foods Veggie Burgers
With Victoria Day Long Weekend quickly approaching there is one thing that is sure to open... your barbecue lid. This year, instead of christening your grill with beef burgers and hot dogs we suggest trying something a little healthier and easier on the waist line.
Beet Quinoa Veggie Burger
How it's made:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup cooked white beans
- 2 tbsp grated beets
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 tsp kelp granules
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp tapioca powder
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
On the grill:
- In the bowl of a food processor place sunflower seeds and grind until a fine flour is made. Add the quinoa, garlic, parsley, onion and carrot, pulse until combined.
- Add the white beans and continue to blend until smooth.
- Put this mixture in the mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir until everything is mixed together.
- Take approx 1/4 cup of the mixture out, divide and form into 6-8 patties.
Cook the patties on a grill until it starts to brown (3-5mins), flip and repeat for the other side. (For best results, we recommend using a BBQ safe pan or flat grilling surface to keep the burger patty intact).
In the Oven:
Line a tray with parchment paper and pre-heat oven to 350F.
Place on baking tray and place into the oven for 10 minutes, flip the patty over and cook the other side for 10 minutes or until each side is crispy.
Patties can be served on a bun, in a wrap, on top of a salad (especially if the patty comes apart during cooking), wrapped in some collard greens or as is straight out of the oven with a side of baked sweet potato fries.
This recipe was sourced from Fully Nourished by Marni Wasserman.