|Zingy Teriyaki Beef Skewers
If you're looking for a light and healthy dinner then these kebabs are just the ticket - rich in folate, fiber, iron and vitamin C, plus 3 of your 5-a-day.
- 1 tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 15g chunk ginger, peeled and very finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp honey (preferably raw)
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 300g beef sirloin steak, trimmed of hard fat and cut into long, thin strips
For the salad:
- 100g long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ribbons with a peeler
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and diagonally sliced
- 100g radishes, trimmed and sliced
- 20g coriander, leaves roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 10g mint leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp. cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- and juice 1 lime
- 25g unsalted cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Put the tamari, orange juice, ginger, garlic, honey and chili flakes in a small saucepan with 100ml cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 3-5 mins, boiling hard until well reduced, glossy and slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat, pour into a shallow dish and leave to cool.
- Thread the beef onto 4 soaked wooden or metal skewers. Place in the marinade, turn and brush until well coated. Cover with cling film and marinate for 30 mins.
- While the beef is marinating, prepare the salad. Half-fill a medium pan with water and bring to the boil. Cook the rice for about 20 mins or following pack instructions until tender. Rinse in a sieve under running water until cold, then drain well. Tip into a large bowl.
- Add the cucumber, carrots, spring onions, radishes, coriander, mint, oil, lime zest and juice, and toss well together well. Season with a little black pepper. Divide between two plates and top with a sprinkling of nuts and extra herbs to garnish.
- Heat the grill to high. (You could also cook the skewers on a non-stick griddle pan.) Put the skewers on a rack above a foil-lined baking tray, reserving any excess marinade. Grill the skewers close to the heat for 3-5 mins each side or until done to your liking. Brush with more marinade when they are turned. They should look sticky and glossy when cooked. Serve hot or cold with the rice salad.
Recipe courtesy of BBC Good Food.com.