|Spicy Chicken with Rice and Beans (for the week!)
Cooking constantly every day can be exhausting, especially if you are cooking for others in your household. We have selected a recipe that is easy to follow and prep, plus you can make extra to save for the week. Meal preps save you time and don't require you to cook every day. This recipe can be used in an Instant Pot or on your stovetop. Not only is this recipe rich in nutrients, it's delicious too!
For the chicken meal prep:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (quinoa also works)
- 1 cup water
- 14 ounces of fresh salsa (undrained canned tomatoes also work)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- about 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 4–6 smallish pieces
- lots of spices like cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder, and cayenne (taco seasoning also works)
For adding in later:
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- a handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- sunshine sauce (mix up: 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 clove garlic
black pepper to taste, lemon, optional: fresh herbs)
Recipe & image Courtesy of: Pinch Of Yum.
- Cook: Place the rice, water, tomatoes, salt, and oil in the pot. Stir to combine. Place the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle generously with your favourite spices and some salt. Turn the instant pot on high pressure for 7-8 minutes. When done, use the quick release valve for the steam.
- Mix: Remove the chicken. Mix the black beans (and maybe a little sunshine sauce) in with the rice.
- Meal Prep Yourself: Divide the rice and beans amongst 4-6 meal prep containers. Top each with a piece of chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro and drizzle with a spoonful of sauce.