Molten Lava Cake
It's cold... So treat yourself!
Molten Lava cakes are relatively easy to make, look great and the batter is forgiving. These delicious cakes are great for dinner parties because they bake for only 8 to 10 minutes; you can put these in the oven while you're making the coffee for dessert.
Original recipe makes 8 servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter or unsalted margarine
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 8 extra-large paper muffin cups (or use regular paper muffin cups,
which will make 12 cakes)
- 1 (6 ounce) container raspberries, barely moistened and rolled in about
- 1/2 cup icing sugar right before serving
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, sugar and salt with a hand mixer in a medium bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Beat egg mixture into chocolate until smooth.
- Beat in flour until just combined. (Batter can be made a day ahead; return to room temperature an hour or so before baking.)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a standard-size muffin tin (1/2 cup capacity) with 8 extra-large muffin papers (papers should extend above cups to facilitate removal). Spray muffin papers with vegetable cooking spray. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake until batter puffs but center is not set, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift cakes from tin and set on a work surface. Pull papers away from cakes and transfer cakes to dessert plates.
- Top each with sugared raspberries and serve immediately.