How to Brush and Floss Properly
- Use a soft toothbrush for thorough and gentle cleaning.
- Hold your brush at a 45 degree angle. Begin by brushing the outside of the front teeth. Use gentle, half-tooth wide, back and forth strokes.
- Next, brush the outside back teeth, starting along the gumline.
- For the inside back teeth, use short, angled brush strokes.
- For the inside front teeth, tilt the brush vertically, and use an up-and-down motion.
- For the chewing surfaces, hold the brush flat, and use a gentle motion.
Most importantly, if your dental professional has given you any special instructions, be sure to follow them precisely.
- Wind 12 inches (the length of your forearm) of floss around your two middle fingers.
- Gently guide the floss between teeth.
- To remove plaque and debris, gently move the floss up and down against the tooth.
- As you move from tooth to tooth, use a fresh section of floss each time.